Saturday, July 15, 2006

 

power

MEET DAY: WNPF NJ CHAMPS--BORDENTOWN

BENCH: Felt great going out. Went for a 315 open. The weight flew up. All red lights! They said my ass was off the bench.
2nd attempt at 315: Made sure my ass was down and smoked the 315.
3rd attempt at 335: This would be a new PB for me. Went out kept my form/ass in line: Was a little slow coming up: All white lights

So, I have no idea what happened with the first bench attempt: Everybody on the side said it looked great, but that's not what the refs saw.

DEAD: Let me begin by saying the warm up room was at least 90 degrees. Look at my past workouts and you will see that I have pulled 415+ over the last 3 months with no problem.
1st attempt at 410----lost my grip at 3/4 mark and couldn't recover---reds
2nd attmpt at 415----got to 3/4 mark and grip went--no recover----reds
3rd attempt at 415---pulled this baby up to my 3/4 mark in record time--grip went and no lockout---all reds.

So, I guess the heat and lack of grip work killed me today. My new dl routine is going to consist of tons and tons of rack pulls and grip work. I will also open all my comps at a 6-7 rep max.
I went BP 315-315--330
DL 410-415-415
Next comp will be-- BP 300----330----350
DL 360----410---440
I can not believe I bombed on a 415 dead. I know what happened, but can't believe it! It sucks, but i'm learning.
Lou

Comments:
Congrats on the new bench PR, Lou. But then again, I wouldn't have expected any less - - - lots of work went into that.

As for the deads, now you know what needs to be done. And sometimes, you'll only learn that in a meet. Next time, you'll get it and then some.
 
Holy crap, Lou! 335 is an awesome bench. Great job!
 
nice bench, congratulations. Sorry about the DL.
 
Big bench brother! I do no grip work, just never use straps on any of your rows or pulldowns. But, one of the best exercises for grip is this one from ed coan. Do shrugs with a double overhand, thumbless grip, no chalk for 2x20-25 reps with max weight. Do this after deadlifts. I did this last year when my grip sucked and it worked wonders.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?