Thursday, May 04, 2006

 

power

5/4/06 SQUATS

135X10
225X5
275X3
275X5
275X5
300X5
315X3
225X10

SHRUGS 135X10----225X10----315X10----405X5 then hold for 20sec's -----315x10----315x10

It was real nice to go up in the squat with the new rack! Thanks again John. I was able to make my box 15 inches. Which sitting down is a little below parallel for me. Does that sound right now? Let me know. 5'7 184 lbs. The 315 was a little hard maybe a 6 out of 10. I'm going to go up next squat day to about 330 and see what it brings. Am I doing to many sets? I'm fairly new to the squat and have no idea what routine to stick with. I have basicly just been doing what I believe feels right on set days. No set routine, just asking my body what it wants. Oh, these were not box squats---I would squat until I belt the box under my ass and then come right back up. Done with belt and wraps on.

Comments:
too many sets? i would say no, possibly too many reps per set, depends on what your looking to do. For pure strength go for at least 5 lifts at above 90%, by doing that you will be in the right rep range of 1-3 for maximal lifts. If you want strength with hypertrophy i feel you cant go wrong with a 5x5 system, hard, but will get you strong and put on some mass. I dont know if you saw the response on my blog from Rick, but i pointed him towards a westside basic template which is a good start for implementing Speed Days in case your interested. FYI, i am 5'7" and a 12" box puts me around 1 inch below parallel, go with what your body type requires and remember what is considered parallel by your federation. If you have a short torso and long legs a higher box might be for you, if not, look at a lower one....
 
oops forgot this, the "classic" approach for a ME:

50%x5
60%x3
70%x2
80%x1
90%x1
95%x1
100%x1 or PR if you feel good
drop to 90% of new 1RM and do 2-3 singles.

Some people will do triples to around 80% then drop to doubles for 90 & 95% then of course singles for the 100% and PR's...whatever works best for you.
 
Lou, judging by your build... I'd say that a 15" box would be right at parallel. My legs are a bit shorter than yours and about 12" is parallel for me.
That's about the difference in our heights: 5'8 to 5'5 = 3"
 
Lou,
email me at alberto.caraballo1@navy.mil and I will email you an article on Prilepin's table that also explains how to calculate for intensity, too.
 
Thanks boys. You know it's crazy to try and get better at all three lifts at the same time. But it makes lifting more fun this way. Every time I go into my gym i'm like a little kid a x-mass now. Having the rack that spots is the greatest. No more worries.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?