Monday, April 24, 2006

 

power

4/24/06 SQUATS

135X10
225X5
275X5 with wraps
305x3 with wraps
305x7 wraps and did with 18 inch box
315x6 wraps and 18 inch
275x8 wraps no box
185x10 raw
135x15 narrow stance raw

Damn boys, I need some input here! The box squat was done at 18 inch height. I sit down and then come back up. These seem much easier then a normal squat. QUESTION: Are box squats easier then a normal squat? How can I get 305x3 (no box) and then 315x6 with a box. I'm starting to think that physically I could be able to squat more, but my mental mind set is keeping me back. Could this be the case? Well, I'm really enjoying the squats more. So that's good. Would love some feedback on the questions.
Lou

Comments:
I left a post to this effect on your April 20th entry, Lou. Question, how tall are you? Are your legs long or short in relation to your torso. Me? I'm 5 ft 9.5 inches, proportionate legs to torso. a 14" box is parallel for me, an 18" box is about a quarter squat for me. A box squat should be harder than free squats.
 
I'm about 5 ft 7 1/2 inches tall. When I sit down on the 18 inch box. My legs are just about parallel. How can the box squats feel so much easier for me?
 
At your height, there is no way an 18 inch box squat can be parallel. I'm trying to not use my size as a reference here when I say that so the only way I could prove it to you is to ask you to pay a gym a visit or have a fellow powerlifter spot you from the side as you squat conventional. The minute you hit parallel (when your hip at the crease is below where the knees are) have him call it and try to remember how far you went. When you do the 18 inch box, you'll note that you didn't go far. That's probably why the box squats feel easier.

The other way is to go to a gym, grab an aerobic step and 14 risers (7 risers on each end is an 18" box squat, 6 is 16", 5 is 14", 4 is 12") and squat at each height and take notes.
 
I'm with Alberto on this one, Lou.
I'm 5-5 and a half and about 12" is parallel for me. Being two inches taller than me, your box should be about 14" or so.
18" is a high box squat and those should be easier than a regular squat.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?